Saturday, January 3, 2009

Cheating God

Tithes. I have not heard a sermon on tithing in over five years. I think that a sermon on tithing would step on a lot of toes. I think that a sermon on tithing would convict a lot of people. I think that a sermon on tithing is not what an in-debt, out of work, America wants to hear. I think that Jerusalem didn't want to hear what Malachi had to say about tithing either. I think that a lot of people have not read Malachi (okay, or most of the bible for this matter). I think that some people that read my blog would actually go get their bibles to see what I am talking about. I think that some of you know what I am talking about. I think others quit reading after the word "tithes" in the first line. So, for those of you who would not go get your bibles, and those of you who are still with me. Here is what Malachi has to say about ROBBING GOD in chapter 3:

6 "I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed. 7 Ever since the time of your forefathers you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you," says the LORD Almighty. "But you ask, 'How are we to return?'
8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' "In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.


Okay, now did you read verse 8 and 9? Read it again. The whole nation was cursed because they were not giving tithes and offerings to God. The whole nation. God considers this stealing (Commandment 8: Do not steal). Wow.

Now, re-read verse 10. Now that is big. How awesome is that? The more I give back to God, the more fulfilled I am. I have heard stories about Rick Warren tithing 90% and living off of 10% (reverse tithing). Wow. I want to do this. I know that it can't be an immediate thing (at least not for me), but it is an attainable, long term goal.

So, where do we stand on tithing? Tithe. It works. Tithe first. Before the bills. It's the only way it will work. It's the way God desires it to be. Remember Cain and Abel (Genesis 4)? Abel gave from the firstborn of his flock. Cain brought some of the fruits (consider this a "convenient" offering). God looked with favor on Abel's offering, but not Cain's offering. Cain got angry. Angry because God did not look with favor on his offering, his convenience offering. Then, there's God, knowing Cain's bitterness, and he says to Cain, "If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it." Cain was bitter and instead of making things right with God, he rebelled. Don't rebel. Do what is right.

No comments: