Tuesday, May 5, 2009

MISSING CAT

















It’s not Kate’s cat, Strawberry. It’s not the little 6 ounce kitten everyone was so worried about. It’s the other cat, Dreamy. The whole reason I even gave in to getting a cat- for a calico. Preferably, a calico that reminded me of my first cat, PawPee. PawPee was given to me by my grandmother’s friend, Jimmy. I was never allowed to have pets, but when I was going through some difficult times in my teenage years, he thought it would be a good idea for me to have a pet. So, he talked Nonnie in to letting me have a cat.
After having kids, I did not really want pets. I wanted to just spend time with my kids and a pet was just something else to take care of (and who has time for that!). I still only wanted to do this, but, the more Kate asked, the more willing I was to give in and get one. Under one condition, that it was a calico cat. Well, our neighbors cat had kittens, no calicos. Then, Marion called and said that her friend had found some kittens and guess what? One was a calico. Yay! So, we went over to see them and Kate didn’t care too much for the calico. She fell in love with the runt. Well, I didn’t want to take home the runt. I wanted the calico. So, we opted to take both kittens. They wouldn’t be as lonely. Kate and Cali both could have one. I would be so happy to have a calico (share her with Cali). She reminded me so much of my first kitten. I even found old pictures of my cat and showed them to Will, the girls, and Marion. It made me think about Nonnie. It made me think about how much I missed her. It made me remember how much she loved me and wanted me to be happy. It reminded me how I loved something and cared for something for the first time in my life (big step for me). It reminded me of the pain that I was going through at the time. It reminded me that PawPee was my only honest form of therapy at the time. My brother even stopped by here and got to see Dreamy. He thought she looked like PawPee,too.
So, we took them home. We named them (well, Kate and Cali named them). We bought them supplies ($100). We took them to the vet and paid their entire first year, plus this visit UP FRONT ($750). I come home from work today. Will had decorated for my birthday. The kids sang. We ate cake. The kids brushed their teeth and went to bed. Will left to go play tennis. I looked for Dreamy (mine and Cali’s cat). I couldn’t find her. I called Will. I’m sure he thought I was overreacting. No cat. No Dreamy. Never found tonight. Will has no idea what happened or where she is. He says he is pretty sure she couldn't have gotten out, but not 100%. What a happy birthday I will have tomorrow. She hasn’t even been here a week. If she got out, she won’t be back. She can’t find her way back. She’s too playful. She’ll probably be killed.
So, now, I am up typing this with a 6 ounce kitten in my lap. Why? Not because I like the kitten as much as everyone else. Because she is meowing and crying. She misses her sister. I enjoyed the moments of reminiscing that I had. Now I am mourning over the financial implications and over memories. Not from this kitten, Dreamy. She hasn’t been here long enough. Over the memories of my past, especially Nonnie. But, everything happens for a reason. Cali’s young. She won’t know the difference. Kate will be fine with it. She said Dreamy beat her cat up anyway. It’s one less mouth that Will has to feed. One less pee/poop Will has to clean. Guess we will see what tomorrow brings. I wish Will would stay home and help look for her. Not that she can be found. I just don’t feel like spending my birthday looking for my lost cat, to just not be able to find her. . .

No comments: