Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Am I trying to please YOU or God?

It is so hard to not get caught up in worldly things when living in the world. (Like, where else would I live, Mars?). How can I be an example and let Christ’s light shine through me without trying to please the world. I mean after all, if I am trying to be a godly example and make people see Christ, then shouldn’t I please them and not make them feel guilty for their actions?

It is so hard to give the, “God loves you and He wants what’s best for you speech”. After all, Satan came to steal, kill, and destroy and right now, Satan is doing just that. We are at war. Not in Iraq or Iran. Here, in the United States, right now. We are at war in our houses, in our families, in our jobs, and in our friendships. Satan is infiltrating our lives. He is trying so hard to strengthen his army. I am so glad that I am on the WINNING SIDE of the war by following Christ.

Why do I pretend that knowing Christ is all love and butterflies? It’s not. It will be, but it’s not. My life is not perfect because I follow Christ. Nor do I know anyone’s life that is perfect because they follow Christ. I still have bills to pay, sick children, financial needs, and other needs that need to be met. I fail miserably as a wife, mother, friend, and nurse. But I am confident that my eternal home is secure. (I am also confident that God provides for ALL of my needs in Jesus Christ, even though it is not the way that I plan it!)

Sharing Christ so that others have an eternal security with Christ is difficult. I am sure that many false conversions begin this way. “Please, ask Jesus to forgive you for your ‘sins’ and to live in your heart.” Seriously? People think that’s all it takes to become a Christian? You think that all a person needs to do is to repeat some heartless prayer and POOF! they get a free ticket in to heaven? Come on people. No one should be that ignorant. No one should water down God’s word and His gift of eternal life to introduce someone to Jesus Christ. If you do, just don’t bother. Their heart isn’t ready. Yes, Jesus wants everyone to come to a knowing relationship with him (2 Peter 3:9), but you can’t pick and choose the parts you want to accept and follow (or share).

There’s a difference in living like the world to reach the world and living like Christ to reach the world. Oh, how easy it is to confuse the two. I feel myself wanting to please people so often. Why do I care if people like me or accept me? I shouldn’t. I should only care that I am being a reflection of Christ (and I sure do fail at this). So, as I spend my next four days off from work and school, I hope to begin this change. I hope to make my actions and words pleasing to God, not to others.


Galatians 1: 10Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

No comments: